How Can I Keep Wasps Away From My Spring Branch Yard?
May 15, 2022 - Wasps
If you unsuspectingly disturb a wasp nest, it can be quite an unpleasant experience. And that’s putting it mildly. You, or someone you know, can surely attest to the wallop a wasp sting can pack, not to mention a whole swarm defending its nest. There are a number of ways you can avoid a wasp's painful sting by preventing wasps from nesting in your yard, but if you have an existing wasp nest, always weigh the consequences before you attempt any nest or wasp removal procedures on your own. Why take the risk? Leave it to a local Spring Branch pest control company. The professionals at Hill Country Pest Solutions have the know-how and the equipment to safely address any wasp problems you may have.
What Do Wasps In Spring Branch Look Like?
There are four types of wasps that you will commonly see in the Spring Branch area. You can divide these stinging insects into two categories: You have the social wasps, like the paper wasp and the yellow jacket, that build large, complex nests. Then you have the mud daubers and cicada killers that prefer to be alone and construct small, simple nests.
- Paper wasp: These wasps are 5/8 to ¾ of an inch long and are brown with yellow markings, although some species may have red markings. Their name is derived from their paper-like nests, often shaped like an umbrella.
- Yellow jacket: The yellow jacket wasp nest is also made of a paper-like substance but is larger and rounder in shape. The nest is completely encased and often built underground or below logs. They are black with a yellow pattern and are 3/8 to 5/8 of an inch in length.
- Mud daubers: As the name implies, they make their nests out of material that looks like mud, consisting of just a few tube-like structures in rows. The mud dauber is ½ to 1 inch long with a long, narrow waist. It is usually black with pale markings.
- Cicada killer: One of the largest wasps, it can grow to 1 ½ inches long. They are black or reddish-brown with white or yellow markings in a zig-zag pattern. They build single nests underground in soft soil.
Most people would prefer not to get close enough to examine a wasp for identification purposes, but their nests are usually distinguishable. Unfortunately, some nests are well hidden and may not be discovered until it’s too late.
How Dangerous Are Wasp Stings?
Most wasps are not necessarily aggressive, but yellow jackets and paper wasps will fiercely defend their nests. The mud dauber rarely stings, and the cicada wasp doesn’t sting at all. The wasps that do sting can be very painful, and to make matters worse, a wasp can sting multiple times. Those who are allergic to stinging insects can experience reactions that can become quite serious. If you do start to feel any allergic reactions, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention.
How Can I Naturally Keep Wasps Away From My Yard?
There are several wasp prevention measures that can be taken around your property that can make your yard less attractive to wasps. Here are just a few natural ways to keep wasps away:
- Trim your bushes and trees on a regular basis and keep a lookout for any new nests under construction.
- Keep any pools of standing water in your yard to an absolute minimum.
- Some wasps are attracted to sweet flowering plants. You might want to rethink your landscaping theme to reduce the number of these types of plants.
- Ensure any trash cans stored outside are closed and tightly sealed. Open soda cans and rotting food are a lure to wasps.
- If you have any fruit trees in your yard, don’t let the fallen fruit sit around too long.
These and other precautions may help control wasps in your yard, but they are no guarantee you won’t experience a wasp problem.
How Can I Safely Get Rid Of A Wasp Problem In My Yard?
Attempting to get rid of wasps and their nests on your own can be a dangerous venture. Why put yourself and your family at risk? The best way to get rid of wasps in Spring Branch is to leave it up to the professionals. Hill Country Pest Solutions is a family-owned business that has been serving the area since 1995. Give us a call. We have the experience and knowledge needed for safe and effective wasp control.
Professional and timely . Instantly trusted this guy . I’m good judge of character . Do it the right way . Howard is a gent but also experienced. Looking forward to seeing him bi monthly